A friend asked me what 4th of July was like in Hawaiʻi and to be honest, I’ve never lived in a State that celebrated it better (for context, I’ve lived in 4 states & 1 territory).
This week, visit Kainaliu’s monthly block party on Kona side! If you live on the East side, make sure you stop by Puna Hongwanji’s Bon Dance in Keaʻau.
On the morning of 4th of July — there’s a 5k run happening at Liliʻuokalani Gardens. If you’re not a morning person, make sure you either catch the fireworks or plan to give your dogs lots of cuddles around that time.
- 7pm: Trivia Night at Slow Your Roll in Hilo. Theme is Hawaii — prizes are awarded to the winning team! Tix are $5 general or free for members. BYOB.
- Thurs June 29: Volcano Thursday Market, 3-6pm at Cooper Center in Volcano every Thursday.
- Thurs June 29: First Saturday, 10-4pm at Pacific Tsunami Museum. Free admission for kamaʻāina (must show ID).
- Fri June 30: Food Truck Friday, 4-8pm at Target parking lot in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri June 30: Kainaliu-Town Block Party, 4:30-7:15pm at Kainaliu-Kona. Family friendly event!
- Sat July 1: Hawaiian Quilting, 9-12pm at Keaʻau Community Center.
- Sat July 1: Kānoa Grill Grand Opening, 12-4pm at Kānoa Grill on Henry St. in Kona. Enjoy ʻono food, prizes, entertainment and more!
- Sat July 1: Puna Hongwanji Bon Dance, 6-10pm at Puna Hongwanji in Keaʻau.
- Fri June 30: Chvrch, 5-10pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Reserve a table or $5 cover at the door.
- Fri June 30: FANYE, 7-8:30 or 9-10:30pm at Gertrudeʻs Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona. $10 cover.
- Fri June 30: Grand Slam, 5:30-8:30pm at Hilo Town Market in Downtown Hilo.
- Fri June 30: Top 40 Dance Floor by DJ Paul, at My Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Sat July 1: Kona After Dark, 8pm at Papa Kona in Kailua-Kona. Dress up in white or bright!
- Sat July 1: Drag the F@ck Up — Girls Next Door, 9pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. Dress in drag and enjoy the show!
- Mon July 3: Monday Night Jazz Jam, 6pm at Kukuau Studio in Hilo.
Comedy + Entertainment
- Fri June 30: A Midsummer Nightʻs Tease, 7:30pm at Aloha Theatre in Kainaliu. $28 in advance & $32 at the door.
- Sat July 1: Daily Pidgin Roadshow, 2pm at Kona Elk’s Lodge.
- Sat July 1: Hawaiʻi Performing Arts Festival Season Opener: The Spirit of Hawaiʻi, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo.
- Sat July 1: Pineapples Comedy Show, 9pm at Island Hopper Taproom in Kamuela.
- Tues July 4: Tuesday Taco Comedy, 6:30-8:30pm at Kona Elk’s Lodge. 2 tacos are $8. Comedy from 7-8:30pm followed by an open mic.
- Tues July 4: Pineapples Comedy Open Mic, 9pm at MY BAR in Kailua-Kona.
Hawaiʻi Island’s 4th of July 2023 Celebrations
- 7am: A Salute to Our Veterans 5K Run/Walk at Liliuokalani Gardens in Hilo. Registration is $35.
- 10-3pm: Hot Rides Expo, Bayfront Soccer Field in Hilo. Check out the vintage, classic, and futuristic cars on display or enjoy the live music, food trucks, and childrenʻs activities.
- 7pm: Hawaii County Band at Moʻoheau Park Bandstand
- 8pm: Hilo Bay Blast Fireworks
- All gates along Mooheau Park and Hilo Bayfront Soccer fields will be open for pedestrian access to view the fireworks. All Hilo parks will remain open until 9 p.m. on July 4.
- The Bayfront Soccer Field will be reserved for kupuna only to watch the fireworks show. Shuttles will be available for kupuna from the Kamana Senior Center to the soccer field from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- 6pm: 4th of July Parade along Kuakini Highway in Kailua-Kona
- 8pm: Peace, Love and 4th of July Fireworks from Kailua Bay
With the Puna Hongwanji Bon Dance and 4th of July fireworks, there’s lots happening for the community to know about! Share this post so your friends know what’s happening on Big Island this week 🏼✨