Earth Day is this Saturday, April 22.
The first Earth Day in 1970 started as a nationwide grassroots demonstration for the environment. The organizers hoped they could tap into the momentum of student anti-war energy at the time to put environmental concerns on the political agenda.
And this grassroots demonstration gave people a platform to express their concerns about what was happening around to their local environments.
Writing this newsletter, I’m finding incredible grassroots gems in our community — people coming together to make the Big Island a thriving place to live.
And thatʻs why Iʻm so grateful youʻre here! Thanks for supporting this newsletter and the community.
There’s a lot happening around the island this week — from silent disco to standup to Sunday Drag Bunch at My Bar. If you want to celebrate Earth Day by cleaning up our community, thereʻs cleanups happening on Saturday and Sunday!
With all that being said, hereʻs whatʻs happening on the Big Island this week.
This is by no means an all-encompassing list, but a few ideas of what’s happening on the Big Island.
- Wed April 19: Kona-Kohala Chamber of Commerce AfterHours, 5-7pm at Jackʻs Diving Locker. Featuring Kuleana Green Business Expo. Network while enjoying pupus and refreshments!
- Thurs April 20: A Honu World Paint-N-Sip Fundraiser, 6-8:30pm at Kailua-Kona. Tix are $40 and support Get Ready Hawaii.
- Sat April 22: Latin Night & Live Music with Fuego, 7pm at Honokaʻa Peopleʻs Theatre. Big dance floor! Tix are $20 at the door. Come early for a salsa lesson at 6pm ($10).
- Sat April 22: Kona Bike Fest 2023, 9-12pm at Hawaiʻi Island Community Health Center in Kailua-Kona. Featuring a 2-mile family fun ride, bicycle equipment swap meet, and bike agility obstacle course.
- Sat April 22: Earth Day Dance Celebration, 12:30-8pm at Kona Dance in Kealakekua. Tix are $100 for the day or $20 per class. Itʻs a full day of dancing with classes including hula, Irish step, and belly dance.
- Sat April 22: All Things Cannabis, 1pm-Pau at Uncle Robertʻs in Kalapana. Music, food, vendors, and speakers.
- Sun April 23: Exploring Within Silent Disco, Sensory Meditation, Yoga Flow, DJ, 4-8pm at private location in Holualoa. Celebrate one year of Exploring Within events! Live painting, collaborative art canvas, connection exercises, raffle prizes, light snacks & more! Carpool tix (minimum of 3) are $45 and general tix are $50. Day of tix are $55.
- Tues & Wed April 25-26: Auditions for Queer & Questioning, an LBGTQIA2S+ Pride Variety Show, 7pm at UH Hilo Music Rehearsal Room (PB-8). All are welcome to audition! A pianist will be provided. Bring sheet music to showcase your voice. Come dressed for movement, prepared to read and showcase any other talents! Selected performers must be available June 9, 10, 16 & 17.
- Wed April 19: Open Mic Jazz Jam at Gertrudeʻs Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona. No cover — just bring your instrument and jam!
- Thurs April 20: Fuego Live Latin Jazz, 7-10:30pm at Gertrudeʻs Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona. $10 cover.
- Fri April 21: John Cruz, 7pm or 9pm at Palace Theatre in Hilo. Tix are $45 for general or $50 day-of.
- Sat April 22: Hawaiian Nights with Onipaʻa Music, 6-9pm at Paradise & 31st in Hawaiian Paradise Park. $10 donation.
- Sat April 22: The Makaha Sons, 6:30pm at Aloha Theatre in Kainaliu-Kona. Proceeds go towards improving Kona Community Hospital for the community. Tix are $60 for reserved seating or $125 for VIP.
- Sat April 22: The Tremors, 7-8:30pm and 9-10:30pm at Gertrudeʻs Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona. Punk rock. $5 cover.
- Sat April 22: Mads Tolling & the Mads Men, 7pm at Kahilu Theatre in Kamuela. 1960s nostalgic yet contemporary jazzed music.
- Sun April 23: Greg Shirleyʻs Big Swing, 6-9pm at Blue Dragon Tavern in Waimea.
- Fri April 21: Waimea Family Food Truck Friday, 4-8pm at WM Keck Observatory Headquarters in Waimea Town.
- Sun April 23: Drag Brunch, 1pm at My Bar. Ala carte brunch menu hosted by Sabel Scities. Tix are $10 for this 21+ event.
Entertainment + Comedy
- Thurs April 20: Pineapples Comedy 420 Show, 8pm at My Bar. Tix are $10 presale or $15 at the door.
- Sat April 22: Andy Bumatai feat. Frank Delima, 6pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. In denial, a stand up comedy tour.
- Fri-Sun April 21-23: Be More Chill, 7:30pm on Fri & Sat and 2pm on Sun at UH Hilo Performing Arts Center. A musical that “perfectly balances the tragedy and hilarity of high school” (Tri City News). Tix are $20 for general, $15 for seniors & faculty, and $10 for students & children.
- Sun April 23: Vertical Life 3, 2:30pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Short climbing films.
Talks + Lectures
- Thurs April 20: Practice (Alone) Does Not Make Perfect — 9 Attributes of a Reflective Practitioner. Free Brown Bag Talk hosted by Kuʻikahu Mediation Center.
- Fri April 21: Roots and Routes Along Keaukahaʻs Seashore, a lecture by Halena Kapuni-Reynolds, 5pm — Online! Hosted by East Hawaiʻi Cultural Center. RSVP to receive the Zoom link.
- Sat April 22: Silent Disco Earth Day Cleanup, 9-12pm at Wawaloli Beach in Kona. Look for white table, blue pop-up tent, and orange + blue buckets! Get discounts and coupons to use at local businesses for every hour you help clean!
- Sun April 23: Kawaihae Center Beach & Highway Cleanup, 8 or 11am at Kohala Divers in Kawaihaie. Lunch will be provided from 12:30-2pm. Sign up in advance.
- Sun April 23: Hilo Cleanup, 9:30am at the corner of Mamo and Keawe. Bring your trash bags and gloves!
Thatʻs all for this week!
Donʻt forget you can share these events with a friend.
P.S. A two-night, immersive writing retreat Women Write, Overnight Writing Retreat is taking place May 15-13 in Kalapana. Overnight or day pass tix are available. Sign up for this retreat to connect to yourself or others through writing.