I remember the magic of Easter my parents created for us growing up — it was something special to dress in Sunday’s best, go to Easter brunch, and search for hidden plastic eggs. The feeling of finding a golden egg was akin to how I might have felt if I received a welcome letter to Hogwarts.
Whether you’re looking for something to do on the three-day weekend, ways to celebrate Easter with your family, or a place to spend time with your friends and eat some delicious food, there’s something for everyone this week! And the magical feelings come if you’re open to it 🙂
Before we begin, I want to say thank you for joining me on this ride! I appreciate your presence. Without further ado, here are a few things happening on Hawaiʻi Island this week.
This is by no means an all-encompassing list, but a few ideas of what’s happening on the Big Island:
All Things Easter
- Fri April 7: Easter at Food Truck Friday, 4-8pm at Target Kona parking lot. Eat delicious food from local vendors, meet the Easter bunny, hunt for eggs, and get your face painted! The first keiki to find the golden egg wins an Easter basket. Easter activities are from 5:30-7:30pm.
- Sat April 8: Golden Egg Hunt, 10-6pm at Honokaʻa Town. Golden eggs will be hidden around town with prizes and gift certificates to local businesses. Food trucks, pop-up vendors, live music, and a PG comedy show.
- Sat April 8: Photos with the Easter Bunny, 12-2:30pm at Keauhou-Kona. Get your photo taken with the Easter bunny, or participate in Easter-related crafts and activities! Photos and crafts require registration online.
- Sun April 9: Easter Brunch, 11-2pm at Fairmont Orchid. Fresh seafood, a rack of lamb, slow-roasted prime rib and pineapple glazed ham. $99 for adults and $49 for keiki ages 6-12.
- Fri April 7: 14 Daze, 5:30-8:30pm at Hilo Night Market.
- Sat April 8: Seven Nations, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Tix are $35 for general or $45 for golden circle, and $5 more on day of show.
- Sat April 8: Grass Fed Longhorns, 7:30-10:30pm at Lava Shack Pahoa.
- Tues Apr 11: An Evening with Musicians of the Knights Chamber Orchestra and Friends, 7-8:30pm at East Hawaiʻi Cultural Center’s Kahua ‘Elua Theatre in Hilo. Tix are $20 general admission or $12 for students.
- Tues April 11: Amy Hānaialiʻi, 6:30-8:30pm at Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo. Tix start at $69 for general.
- Thurs April 6: Tartan Day Menu by Hopperʻs Street Food, 3-6pm at Cooper Center Upper Level in Volcano. Celebrate Scottish heritage with non-traditional haggis, Scottish eggs and pork sausage, Scottish beef stew, and more!
- Thurs April 6: Chamber of Commerce x HawCC Culinary Program Business After-Hours, 5:30-7:30pm at HawCC Dining Hall in Hilo. Get tickets before this event sells out! Culinary students will have pupus, dishes, and malasadas prepared for you! Network & enjoy delicious food. Tix are $20 for Chamber members & $30 for non-members.
- Thurs April 6: Good Times Comedy Open Mic, 7pm at Hilo Town Market. Comedy open mic hosted by Heston Kaʻaihue. Bring your own pupus & drinks! Entry is $10.
- Thurs April 6: Kona Know You, 8pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. Standup comedy, guest performances, and games. Tix are $10 each or $15 for two.
- Fri April 7: Okagesama De Documentary, 6pm at Honokaʻa People’s Theatre. Tix are $10 for adults or $5 for keiki.
- Fri April 7: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Tix are $10 for general or $9 for students, seniors & veterans.
- Sat April 8: Pinapples Comedy, 7pm at Honokaʻa Peoples Theatre. Laura Reid, Kevin Hobbs, Katie Lynn, and Yasir Bey — hosted by Lindsay Roth.
- Mon April 10: Merrie Monarch Hula, 12pm at Grand Naniloa Hotel and 1pm at Hilo Hawaiian Hotel.
- Thurs April 6: National Public Health Week Open House, 11-1pm at Hilo State Building Lanai. Learn about health & resources, food trucks, live music, and tai chi! Special thanks to Any Kine Wontons for sharing this event with me (yup, theyʻll be there!).
- Thurs April 6: Artist Talk Story with Michiko Hamada, 5:30-7:30pm at Donkey Mill Art Center in Holualoa. Potluck-style talk with Mokuhanga printmaker from Japan, Michiko.
- Sat April 8: 5K Charity Walk and Zumba, 8am at Hapuna Beach. Donations go to American Diabetes Association.
- Sat April 8: Monthly Artisan Market at Kona Commons. Arts, crafts, gifts, and food. 9:30am-3:30pm.
- Sat April 8: Youth Arts Saturdays at East Hawaii Cultural Center in Hilo. Free and open to keiki of all ages.
- Tues April 11: Big Island Designers Fashion Show, 4-10pm at Hilo Town Market. Tix are $35 general or $75 runway seating.
- Hilo Town Cleanup this Sun April 9, 9:30am at Palace Theatre.
I hope you have a lovely week, wherever you are and whatever you do!
What did I miss? And, what else do you want to know about the Big Island? Let me know what you think → email@example.com.
P.S. Pepper is returning to Kona! Friday, June 2, 6-11pm at Brew Block in Kailua-Kona. Tix are $45 early bird and $100 VIP.