I’m sure you’ve seen or heard the news: our neighbors in Maui need our support 🏼
I’m at a loss for words, because how can one describe what it must be like for your home to burn down or to be displaced from your home? Or how difficult of a transition it must be for neighbor families, people with disabilities, and kūpuna to be navigating this difficult time.
If you haven’t already, and if you are financially able, could you consider making a financial donation to help our neighbors in Maui?
- Maui Mutual Aid is collecting donations to vulnerable ʻohana in need, kūpuna, people with physical disabilities, renters, and those who are un- or under-insured. You can make a donation here and directly support those impacted by the storm & wildfire.
- Kakoo Maui are raising donations for families and businesses. They are also matching donations up to a certain amount, so your money can go twice as far!
- Aloha United Way created a Maui Relief Fund that will directly support victims of fires.
- Or, you can make donations up to $249 at your nearest Foodland, including rounding up your purchase to the nearest dollar.
Are you on the Big Island & looking for something to do this week? Here’s what’s happening on the Big Island. This is by no means an all-encompassing list, but a few ideas of events happening on Hawaiʻi Island.
- Thurs Aug 10: Fuego, 7—10:30pm at Gertrudeʻs Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona. Tix $10 for this 21+ show. Gertrudeʻs is closing! This is the final show under this owner.
- Thurs Aug 10: Volcano Thursday Market, 3-6pm at Cooper Center in Volcano.
Music + Dancing
- Fri Aug 11: Disco Fever, 9pm-1am at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. Featuring DJ Kevin K & DJ NTU.
- Sat Aug 12: Average Joes, 9pm-12am at Lava Shack in Pāhoa.
- Sat Aug 12: Da Glow Up Blacklight Party, My Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Sat Aug 12: A Tribute to Carlos Santana feat. Lighning Larry Dupio, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Tix are $30 general and $5 more on day of show.
- Mon Aug 14: Monday Night Jazz Jam, 6pm at Kukuau Studio in Hilo.
- Fri Aug 11: Aloha Poʻalima, 5-9pm at Makuʻu Farmers Market. Live entertainment, food & craft vendors! $2 per person.
- Sat Aug 12: Walk to End Family Homelessness, 8am at Edith Kanakaʻole Stadium. Adults $25, Ages 6-17 $10, and children under 5 are free.
- Sat Aug 12: Flowerfest 2023, 11:30am-5pm at Grace Flowers Hawaii in Honokaʻa. Fashion show featuring Honokaʻa businesses with an afterparty at Honokaʻa Public House.
- Sat Aug 12: Hilo Higashi Hongwanji Obon, 6pm at Hilo Higashi Hongwanji. Service at 6pm followed by food concession and dancing.
- Sat Aug 12: Kona Koyasan Daishiji Bon Dance, 6:30pm at Kona Koyasan Daishiji Mission in Holualoa.
- Sat Aug 12: Hamakua Jodo Mission, 7pm at 44-2947 Kalōpā Rd. in Honokaʻa.
- Sun Aug 13: Nihilo Art Market, 4-8pm in Kailua-Kona.
Comedy + Entertainment
- Fri Aug 11: Bring-IT!, 7pm at Kahilu Theatre in Kamuela. Uncensored open mic highlighting the creativity and community of the North Hawaiʻi arts scene. Tix are $10 available at the door. $21+ show.
- Fri Aug 11: Tits & Giggles: A Comedy Cabaret, 7:30pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri & Sat Aug 11-12: Toil & Trouble, 7:30pm (or Sun Aug 13, 2:30pm) at Aloha Theatre. Find out what an old couch, a sword, and a miniature alpaca-type creature have in common in this modern take of Shakespeareʻs Macbeth thatʻs been described as Shakespeare meets Always Sunny in Philadelphia!
- Mon Aug 14: Open Mic, 7:30pm at Hilo Town Tavern.
- Tues Aug 15: Tuesday Taco Comedy, 6:30-8:30pm at Kona Elk’s Lodge. 2 tacos are $8. Comedy from 7-8:30pm followed by an open mic.
- Tues Aug 15: Pineapples Comedy Open Mic, 9pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. 5 minute time slots for your music, comedy, and poetry!
- Fri Aug 11: Food Truck Friday, 4-8pm at Target parking lot in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri Aug 11: Hilo Town Market, 5-9pm in Downtown Hilo. Food vendors, food trucks, live music, and crafts!
- Sat Aug 12: Keauhou Farmers Market, 8-12pm in Keauhou-Kona. Find locally-raised & grown produce, flowers, honey, coffee, eggs, and more!
- Sat Aug 12: Waimea Town Market, 9:30-2pm in Waimea. Food, music, jams, and chocolate!
- Sun Aug 13: Makuʻu Farmers Market, 7am-12pm in Puna.
- Sun Aug 13: Volcano Farmers Market, 6-10am at Cooper Center in Volcano.
- Sun Aug 13: Pure Kona Green Market, 9-2pm across from Manago Hotel in Captain Cook.
- Tues Aug 15: Hakalau Farmers Market, 3-5pm at Hakalau Veterans Park. Home grown produce and products.
What are you up to this weekend?