Where do I even begin? There’s so much happening this week!
If you’re on Hilo side: visit Uncle Roberts out in Kalapana for a Maui Fire fundraiser on Saturday afternoon or catch a poetry reading by SFJAZZ Poet Laureate Genny Lim on Sunday afternoon in Hilo. Live on Kona side? From Reggae on the Runway on Saturday to Exploring Within Silent Disco + Bonfire on Sunday, there’s lots to keep yourself entertained 💞
Looking for something to do this week? Here’s what’s happening on the Big Island. This is by no means an all-encompassing list, but a few ideas of events happening on Hawaiʻi Island.
- Wed Aug 22: Wednesday Night Market, 4:30-7:30pm at Hilo Town Market. Featuring local vendors + live music.
- Wed Aug 22: Karaoke + DJ Dance Party, 8-Pau at Hilo Town Market Showroom. Over 300,000 songs to choose from! $10 entry, BYOB & BYOF.
- Fri Aug 25: Making Seed Paper, 10-12pm at Waiʻhinu Park, Kaʻū. Create recycled, plantable paper with seeds and intention to nurture and grow. Space is limited — see flyer for more info to contact organizer.
- Sat Aug 26: 2nd Annual Mauka Makai Drag Show, 7-10pm at Honokaʻa People’s Theatre. Food trucks from 5-9pm. Tix are $20 per person in advance or $25 at the door.
- Sat Aug 26: Universal Remedies: Herbal Bundles & Bottles, 10-12pm at Higashihara Park in Kona. Space is limited — see flyer for more info to contact organizer.
- Sat Aug 26: Honohina Hongwanji Mission Bon Dance, 2pm in Nīnole (north of Honomu).
- Sun Aug 27: Exploring Within Silent Disco + Bonfire, 5:30-8:30pm at a private location in Holualoa. Dive into movement, music, art, and dance as you enjoy this one-of-a-kind silent disco experience surrounded by nature. Tix are $33-$44.
- Sun Aug 27: Poetry Reading by Genny Lim, 4pm at East Hawaiʻi Cultural Center Kahua ʻElua Theatre in Hilo. An afternoon of poetry and conversation with former San Francisco Arts Commissioner and SFJAZZ Poet Laureate Genny Lim. This event is FREE, but advance reservations are required!
Music + Dancing
- Fri Aug 25: Hot Potaytahs, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Live funk n roll dance party on the Palace stage! Tix are $15 general.
- Fri Aug 25: Twerk Dat Dance Party, 10-1am at My Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Sat Aug 26: Laulima Pāhoa & Uncle Roberts Fundraiser for Maui Fire Victims, 1-10pm at Uncle Robert’s in Kalapana. Music, food, vendors, donations, raffle and silent auction of local goods and art.
- Sat Aug 26: Meng-Chieh Liu — In the Moonlight, 3pm at Kahilu Theatre in Kamuela. Tix are $35-$65.
- Sat Aug 26: Reggae on the Runway, 3pm at Old Kona Airport in Kailua-Kona. Featuring Common Kings, Fia, and Jasmin Nicole.
- Sat Aug 26: The Stephen Inglis Project, 7:30pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Channeling the magic of the Grateful Deadʻs performance at the Berkeley Community Theatre in Berkeley, California on August 25, 1972. Tix are $35 general or $50 VIP.
- Sat Aug 26: Y2K Throwback Party, 9-1am at My Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Sun Aug 27: AEGIS Live in Hilo, 5pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Filipino Rock Band AEGIS performs live at the Historic Palace Theater for a one night only
- Mon Aug 28: Monday Night Jazz Jam, 6pm at Kukuau Studio in Hilo.
Comedy + Entertainment
- Mon Aug 28 & Thurs Aug 31: AUDITIONS for The Rocky Horror Show, 7pm at Paradise Performing Arts Center in Hilo. Auditionees must be 18+. Performances will be held Oct 20-31.
- Mon Aug 28: Open Mic, 7:30pm at Hilo Town Tavern.
- Tues Aug 29: Tuesday Taco Comedy, 6:30-8:30pm at Kona Elk’s Lodge. 2 tacos are $8. Comedy from 7-8:30pm followed by an open mic.
- Tues Aug 29: Pineapples Comedy Open Mic, 9pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. 5 minute time slots for your music, comedy, and poetry!
- Fri Aug 25: Food Truck Friday, 4-8pm at Target parking lot in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri Aug 25: Hilo Town Market, 5-9pm in Downtown Hilo. Food vendors, food trucks, live music, and crafts!
- Sat Aug 26: Keauhou Farmers Market, 8-12pm in Keauhou-Kona. Find locally-raised & grown produce, flowers, honey, coffee, eggs, and more!
- Sat Aug 26: Waimea Town Market, 9:30-2pm in Waimea. Food, music, jams, and chocolate!
- Sun Aug 27: Makuʻu Farmers Market, 7am-12pm in Puna.
- Sun Aug 27: Volcano Farmers Market, 6-10am at Cooper Center in Volcano.
- Sun Aug 27: Pure Kona Green Market, 9-2pm across from Manago Hotel in Captain Cook.
- Tues Aug 29: Hakalau Farmers Market, 3-5pm at Hakalau Veterans Park. Home grown produce and products.
As always, thank you so much for following along! If you enjoy this newsletter and want to continue seeing it pop in your inbox each week, the most supportive gesture is sharing it with a friend 🏼✨
Thanks for reading!
P.S. Keauhou Farmers Market is hosting a mango eating contest! Enter by August 30, 2023 to enter and compete to win 10 lbs of mangoes.