This week is a great week for our entertainment and comedy lovers: GREASE will be shown live at the Palace Theater, locally written Ho Ka Hū: No Ack! returns for its final weekend in Hilo, and you can catch comedy shows on both sides of the island.
Tonight in Hilo, you can check out the Wednesday Night Market (& stay for the karaoke/dance party). Or if youʻre looking for something to do this weekend, join the Relay for Life on Friday or check out a new downtown Hilo business Soil to Soul — theyʻre hosting a Hoe Down Showdown on Saturday night.
Will you be in Kona? Then make sure to grab tickets to Maoli on Friday night, unless you already have tickets to their sold out Saturday show.
As always, this is never an exhaustive list of everything going on — it’s a list of some events happening on Hawaiʻi Island this week. Save it for later, share it with a friend, or send a hint to your hot date.
- Wed July 12: Wednesday Night Market, 4:30-7:30pm at Hilo Town Market. Featuring local vendors + live music.
- Wed July 12: Karaoke + DJ Dance Party, 8-Pau at Hilo Town Market Showroom. Over 300,000 songs to choose from! $10 entry, BYOB & BYOF.
- Wed July 12: Open Mic Jazz Jam, 7pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Wed July 12: Social Dance Night, 7:30-9:30pm at Hale Hana (74-5583 Luhia St.) in Kailua-Kona Industrial. Suggested donation of $15 general. Salsa, hustle, west coast swing, night club two-step & cha-cha!
Music + Dancing
- Thurs July 13: Fuego Latin Jazz, 7-10:30pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona. Tix are $10 at the door. Arrive at 6pm for a beginner/intermediate salsa lesson.
- Fri & Sat July 14 & 15: Maoli LIVE in Kona, 5-10pm at KBXtreme Parking Lot in Kailua-Kona. Tix are $40 general & $120 VIP. The Saturday show is sold out!
- Sat July 15: Fantuzzi Acoustic, 6-9pm at Kukuau Studio in Hilo. Live mystic Latin, reggae, and afro-funk.
- Sat July 15: Hoe Down Showdown, 7-10pm at Soil to Soul in Downtown Hilo.
- Sat July 15: Top 40 Dance Floor, all night at My Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Sat July 15: Soundscape Mini Music Fest, 6pm-2am at Cinderland EcoVillage in Pāhoa. Tix are $15-20.
- Sun July 16: South Kona Ecstatic Dance, 5-8pm at Kona Dance & Performing Arts. $10 or free for keiki. Bring water & yoga mat!
- Mon July 17: DJ Ntu, 7pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Mon July 17: Monday Night Jazz Jam, 6pm at Kukuau Studio in Hilo.
Are bon dances considered community, or dancing? 🤔 lol 😆
- Sat July 15: Hip Hop Masterclass, 1-2:30pm at Kona Dance and Performing Arts. $20 pre or $25 drop-in.
- Sat July 15: Honpa Hongwanji Hilo Bon Dance, 7-10pm at Hilo Betsuin.
- Sat July 15: Honokaa Hongwanji Bon Dance, 7pm at Honokaa Hongwanji.
- Sat July 15: Big Island Relay for Life, 5-Midnight at Dr. Francis Wong Stadium in Hilo. The 31st annual Big Island Relay for Life is this Friday! This year’s theme is Seussical — Cancer: Not Here, Not There, Not Anywhere!
Entertainment + Comedy
- Thurs-Sun July 13-16: GREASE — Live!, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Sing and dance along with this live musical classic presented by HEART! Tix are $24. There are 2pm shows on Sat + Sun.
- Fri-Sun July 14-16: Ho Ka Hū: No Ack!, 4:30pm at UH Hilo Performing Arts Center Lawn. Enjoy this family-friendly local adaptation on Shakespeareʻs comedy Much Ado About Nothing, written by Dr. Justina ʻŌlalimākiaikalauaki Mattos. Free admission (donations accepted). Bring a chair & enjoy the show!
- Fri-Sun July 14-16: Much Ado About Nothing, 7:30pm at UH Hilo Performing Arts Center Lawn. The 46th Annual Shakespeare in the Park presented by Hilo Community Players. Free admission (donations accepted). Bring a chair & enjoy the show with their concessions!
- Fri July 14: Tits & Giggles: A Comedy Cabaret, 7:30pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. Tix are $15 and get them in advance!
- Sat & Sun July 15 & 16: The Magic Flute by Hawaii Performing Arts Festival, 7pm on Sat and 4pm on Sun at Kahilu Theatre in Kamuela. Tix start at $28.
- Sat July 15: Good Times Comedy Club, 6:30-9:30pm at Hilo Town Market. Tix are $10 at the door.
- Tues July 18: Pineapples Comedy Open Mic, 9pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. 5 minute time slots for your music, comedy, and poetry!
- Thurs July 13: Volcano Thursday Market, 3-6pm at Cooper Center in Volcano.
- Fri July 14: Food Truck Friday, 4-8pm at Target parking lot in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri July 14: Hilo Town Market, 5-9pm in Downtown Hilo. Food vendors, food trucks, live music, and crafts!
- Sat July 15: Keauhou Farmers Market, 8-12pm in Keauhou-Kona. Find locally-raised & grown produce, flowers, honey, coffee, eggs, and more!
- Sat July 15: Waimea Town Market, 9:30-2pm in Waimea. Food, music, jams, and chocolate!
- Sun July 16: Makuʻu Farmers Market, 7am-12pm in Puna.
- Sun July 16: Volcano Farmers Market, 6-10am at Cooper Center in Volcano.
- Sun July 16: Pure Kona Green Market, 9-2pm across from Manago Hotel in Captain Cook.
- Tues July 18: Hakalau Farmers Market, 3-5pm at Hakalau Veterans Park. Home grown produce and products.
Thank you so much for reading & following along! It’s really lovely to hear y’all are reading the newsletter and finding ideas for what to do 🏼✨