Hi friends & good morning! ✨
As usual, there’s a fun variety of events happening islandwide: improv at Aloha Theatre, Lava Phish Drag in Pāhoa, and Argentine tango at Paradise Plants in Hilo! Check out the events happening tonight, or in the upcoming week!
And don’t forget — one of the best ways to support this newsletter is by SHARING it with a friend!
Looking for something to do this week? Here’s what’s happening on the Big Island. This is by no means an all-encompassing list, but a few ideas of events happening on Hawaiʻi Island.
- Thurs June 22: Volcano Thursday Market, 3-6pm at Cooper Center in Volcano.
- Thurs June 22: Katchafire, 6pm at KBXTREME in Kailua-Kona.
- Thurs June 22: Hot Girl Summer, 9pm at Laverne’s Sports Bar in Kailua-Kona. Show your Katchafire ticket for $5 entry.
- Thurs June 22: Paris is Burning (1990), 7pm at Palace Theatre in Hilo.
- Thurs June 22: Beginner/Intermediate Salsa, 6-7pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar.
Comedy + Entertainment
- Fri June 23: The HI Line Improv, 7:30pm at Aloha Theatre in Kainaliu. Tix are $15 in advance or $20 at the door.
- Sat June 24: RENT, 7pm at Kahilu Theatre in Kamuela. Tix range from $25-$45.
- Sat June 24: The HI Line Improv, 7:30pm at Aloha Theatre in Kainaliu. Tix are $15 in advance or $20 at the door.
- Fri June 23: Lava Phish Drag, 8pm at Lava Shack in Pāhoa. $5 cover.
- Sat June 24: The Girl on the Train (2016), 7-9pm at Light Garden in Pāhoa.
- Sun June 25: RENT, 3pm at Kahilu Theatre in Kamuela. Tix range from $25-$45.
- Tues June 27: Pineapples Comedy Open Mic, 9pm at MY BAR in Kailua-Kona.
- Tues June 20: Tuesday Taco Comedy, 6:30-8:30pm at Kona Elk’s Lodge. 2 tacos are $8. Comedy from 7-8:30pm followed by an open mic.
- Fri June 23: Food Truck Friday, 4-8pm at Target parking lot in Kailua-Kona.
- Sat June 24: Family Zoo Walk by The Mom Walk Collective, 10am at Panaewa Rainforest Zoo and Gardens in Hilo. Bring a lunch to picnic at the play area after walking!
- Sat June 24: Waipiʻo Valley Paint Party, 2-5pm at Olivia Clare Boutique in Kailua-Kona. $65 includes registration and supplies. All levels are welcome!
- Sat June 24: Pride Parade & Festival, 11-4pm at downtown Hilo. Parade at 11am & Picnic at 12:30. Food vendors, keiki activities, entertainment, and local merchants!
- Sat June 24: Pride Night Open House & Performance, 5:30pm at Pacific Tsunami Museum in Hilo. Local talent including grunge band Nancy Boy, poets Lennie Espinoza & Tash Zarate, and musician Kealani!
- Sat June 24: Honoka’a Summer Car Show, 2-9pm at Mamane St. in Honokaʻa. Cars, bikes, and trucks plus food vendors and live music! You can also catch two free showings of Grease at Honokaʻa People’s Theatre.
- Sat June 24: Argentine Tango, 7-8pm Lesson & 8-10:30pm Milonga at Paradise Plants in Hilo.
- Sat June 24: PRIDE in Paradise Mini Portrait Sessions, 5:30-7:30pm at Hilo Bayfront. $50 session can include up to 4 people and must be pre-booked in advance.
- Sun June 25: Greg Shirley’s Big Swing, 6:30-9:30pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Sun June 25: Equality HI Annual PRIDE BBQ, 2-6pm at Onekahakaha in Keaukaha-Hilo.
- Fri June 23: Olʻ School Band, 5:30-8:30pm at Hilo Town Market.
- Fri June 23: Juneteeth Jam, 6-9pm at Kukuau Studio. Memorialize Black ancestors being freed from slavery. Blues, rock and hip-hop. Tix are $10 at the door for all ages.
- Fri June 23: Baddies in da Club, 9pm at MY BAR in Kailua-Kona.
- Sat June 24: Dream Dance with JenISIS, 7-10pm at Around the Kava Bowl in Captain Cook.
- Sat June 24: 2010s Night, 9pm at MY BAR in Kailua-Kona.
- Mon June 26: DJ NTU, 7-10:30pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona.
As usual, thank you for all your support! Feel free to follow on Instagram where I’ll occasionally post events happening around the island.
xo – Krista