When I was younger, my mom would take my brother and me on trips to the public library, where we’d spend afternoons poring through the bookshelves, getting lost in the stories and hand-selecting a large pile of books to bring home.
As I got older, the local library became my place of refuge. I’d go there after school to use their computers and participate in games and activities. It evolved into more than a place to read books — it was also a publicly-funded place where I could spend time (for free) while my parents were at work.
This week is National Library Week! Why not stop by your local library sometime this week and explore all the incredible resources it has to offer?
All that being said, hereʻs whatʻs happening on the Big Island this week.
This is by no means an all-encompassing list, but a few ideas of events happening on the Big Island.
- Wed April 26: Film Trivia, 7pm at Slow Your Roll in Hilo. All ages are welcome!
- Thurs April 27: Monthly Women’s Circle, 4:30-5:30pm at Honokohau Beach. Connect with other women seeking friendship, sisterhood, and community.
- Fri-Sat April 28 & 29: Big Island Chocolate Festival at Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. This year’s theme is Indulge the Senses with Chocolate. Tix are $99 for general admission or $189 for VIP plus.
- Sat April 29: Madam Matisse Paint Party, 2-5pm at Denny’s Lanai in Kailua-Kona.
- Sat April 29: 18th Annual Love the Arts, 4-8pm at Volcano Art Center’s Niaulani Campus. A fun-filled evening of food, wine, local brews, and fine arts auction. Tix are $75 general or $65 for VACmembers.
- Sun April 30: Waikoloa Lei Day Festival, 8-7pm at Marriott, Kings’ Shops, and Queens’ Shops in Waikoloa. Live performances, food vendors, lei-making, and keiki activities!
- Sun April 30: Swing Dance Class, 5:30-6:30pm at Gertrude’s in Kailua-Kona. $6 beginner class. After class, swing out until 9:30 for a $10 cover. Table reservations available on Yelp.
- Thurs April 27: Fuego Live Latin Jazz, 7-10:30pm at Gertrude’s in Kailua-Kona. $10 cover.
- Thurs-Sat, Various Live Music, 5:30-7:30pm at Pāpaʻaloa Country Store on the Hāmākua Coast. Keoki Kahumoku on Thursday, Vinyl Pirates on Friday, and Saddle Road Country Band on Saturday.
- Fri April 28: Lip Service, 6:30-9:30pm at Blue Dragon Tavern.
- Sat April 29: Johnny Shot, 6:30-9:30pm at Blue Dragon Tavern. High-energy rock and roll with a playlist that includes songs by the Stones, Beatles, and the Who. Tix are $10 in advance and $13 at the door. Children 12 & under are free.
- Sun April 30: West Hawai’i County Band, 4-5pm at Hale Hālāwai in Kailua-Kona. Enjoy the band playing music selected from its extensive repertoire, including; marches, show tunes, jazz favorites, the classics and Hawaiian traditional tunes.
- Sun April 30: May Day is Lei Dei Concert, 3-6pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Live performances from Kulāiwi with Hālau Hula Kauluola & Kainani Kahaunaele with Hula Hālau O Kou Lima Nani ‘E. Tix are $30 general or $45 priority, and $5 more on day of show.
- Mon May 1: Monday Night Jazz Jam, 6-9pm at Kukuau Studio in Hilo. Weekly jazz jam, free for all ages.
- Thurs-Sat April 27-29: Be More Chill, 7:30pm on Fri & Sat and 2pm on Sun at UH Hilo Performing Arts Center. A musical that “perfectly balances the tragedy and hilarity of high school” (Tri City News). Tix are $20 for general, $15 for seniors & faculty, and $10 for students & children.
- Fri-Sat April 28 & 29: The HI Line, 7:30pm at Aloha Theatre in Kona. A completely original improvisational performance by the Aloha Theatreʻs resident improv troupe. Tix are $15 in advance and $20 at the door.
- Fri-Sat April 28 & 29: Decades — The Ultimate Escape Room at Palace Theatre in Hilo. Music and dancing production by N2 dance. Tix are $15 general and $20 preferred, and an additional $5 at the door. Show starts 7pm Friday and 2pm Saturday.
- Sat April 29: Rikki Tikki Tavi Ballet, 4pm at Kahilu Theatre in Kamuela. Family-friendly ballet. Tix are $35 or $65.
- Sat April 29: Lava Phish Drag Show, 8pm at Lava Shack in Pāhoa. $5 cover.
- Sat April 29: Saturday Movies Under the Stars — Jurassic World, 6:30-10pm at King Kamehameha Resort in Kailua-Kona.
- Mon May 1: May Day Film Loop, 11-2pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. In Celebration of May Day, the Palace Theater is offering Historic Films of Old Hawai’i. Vintage films will be running on loop from 11am-2pm stop in anytime, stay as long as you want! Free, with donations accepted.
- Mon May 1: Weekly Open Mic, 7:30-pau at Hilo Town Tavern.
- Fri April 28: Graham Elwood Stand-Up, 7-10pm at The Elks Lodge in Kailua-Kona. Featuring Yasir Bey and Katie Lynn. Tix are $25.
- Tues May 2: Pineapples Comedy Open Mic at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. 5 minute time slots.
- Sun June 4: King Kamehameha Awesome Athletes Inclusive Canoe Race, 9am-3pm at Hilo Bayfront. Volunteers including land support, transfer team, and fundraising are needed. Submit your interest to volunteer by April 30!
What did I miss? And, what else do you want to know about the Big Island? Let me know what you think → firstname.lastname@example.org.