As usual, there’s so much happening this week I can barely keep up!
If you’re in Kona — compete for your chance to win 10 pounds of mangoes — or watch the show — at the first-ever mango eating contest this Saturday. In the afternoon, you can head to Tony Honda Kona to support Kona’s Maui Love Benefit Concert featuring names like Anuhea and Brother Noland.
Outside of Kona? Catch the first round of Hilo Idols TONIGHT as ten contenders fight their way to the crown. Or, catch an Open Mic hosted by Pineapples Comedy at Island Hopper Taproom in Waimea this Saturday.
Here’s what’s happening on the Big Island. This is by no means an all-encompassing list, but a few ideas of events happening on Hawaiʻi Island.
- Wed Aug 30: Blue Moon Poppet Crafting Workshop, 6:30-9:30pm at Rising Moon Apothecary in Honokaʻa. Tix are $40.
- Wed Aug 30: First Round of Hilo Idol 2023, 7pm at the Hilo Town Market Showroom. Meet the first round of contestants and support your bet to be the next Hilo Idol. 18+, $10 entry.
- Wed Aug 30: Kona Clothing Swap, 3-6:30pm at Pahoehoe Beach Park in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri Sept 1: Statewide Vigil in Support of Maui, all day in various locations and online.
- Fri Sept 1: Holualoa First Friday, 5:30-8:30pm in Holualoa. Jive to live music, admire local artworks, and feast on local gourmet “grab-and-go” food.
- Sat Sept 2: First Saturday, 10-4pm at Pacific Tsunami Museum. Featuring local musician Kanoa Fong at noon! Free admission for kamaʻāina (must show ID).
- Sat Sept 2: Paradise Plants Anniversary, 9am-8pm at Paradise Plants in Hilo. Enjoy special sales and giveaways all day, plus live music, raffle prizes, food, and drinks.
- Sat Sept 2: Mango Eating Contest, 10am-12pm in Keauhou Farmers Market. Partake in the first-ever mango eating contest on the Big Island and get a chance to take home 10 lbs. of mangoes.
- Sat Sept 2: Umekes Poke & Seafood Festival, 3pm-8pm at Umekes, Pawai Place, Kailua-Kona. Witness 20 poke chefs in the ultimate Poke Throwdown competition.
- Sun Sept 3: Healing Service with Sound Bath and Energy Healing, 12pm at Unity of Kona. Sound bath and free energy healing to relax your body and mind.
Music + Dancing
- Fri Sept 1: Tree House with DJ Self Target, 9pm-1am at Mom’s in Hilo. 21+. Free cover.
- Sat Sept 2: Live Music With Ron Exzabe, 8-12pm at Keauhou Farmers Market. Tap your feet to the rhythm of Ron Exzabe’s tunes and set your worries free.
- Sat Sept 2: Hayden James Band Live, 6-9pm in Kukuau Studio. Get ready to groove and dance to Hayden James Band at Kukuau Studios.
- Sat Sep 2: M.D.C. (Millions of Dead Cops), 6:30pm at Club Ekahi in Kailua-Kona. LOCAL PUNKS brings legendary American punk/hardcore band MDC to Hawaii for an all ages show.
- Sat Sept 2: Live Music with Hana Goodhue, 7-9pm at SCP Hilo Hotel. Enjoy a captivating evening of live music with the talented Hana Goodhue!
- Sun Sept 3: Kona’s “Maui Love” Benefit Concert, 11-7pm at Tony Honda in Kailua-Kona. Featuring Anuhea, Brother Noland, Kenny T, and more! 100% of all donations and proceeds go to Maui families displaced by the fires. Family friendly and alcohol free event.
- Sun Sept 3: Live Music with Genesis “Pililani” Pua-Kaipo, 6-8pm at SCP Hilo Hotel. An unforgettable evening of live music with the talented Genesis “Pililani” Pua-Kaipo.
- Mon Sept 4: Monday Night Jazz Jam, 6pm at Kukuau Studio in Hilo.
Comedy + Entertainment
- Tues Sept 5: Tuesday Taco Comedy, 6:30-8:30pm at Kona Elk’s Lodge. 2 tacos are $8. Comedy from 7-8:30pm followed by an open mic.
- Sat Sept 2: Pineapples Comedy Open Mic, 9-11pm at Island Hopper Taproom in Waimea. Join Pineapples Comedy for an open mic, stand up, and improv games! No cover.
- Fri Sept 1: Food Truck Friday, 4pm-8pm at Target parking lot in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri Sept 1: Hilo Town Market, 5pm-9pm in Downtown Hilo. Food vendors, food trucks, live music, and crafts!
- Sat Sept 2: Keauhou Farmers Market, 8am-12pm in Keauhou-Kona. Find locally-raised & grown produce, flowers, honey, coffee, eggs, and more!
- Sat Sept 2: Waimea Town Market, 9:30am-2pm in Waimea. Food, music, jams, and chocolate!
- Sun Sept 3: Makuʻu Farmers Market, 7am-12pm in Puna.
- Sun Sept 3: Volcano Farmers Market, 6am-10am at Cooper Center in Volcano.
- Sun Sept 3: Pure Kona Green Market, 9am-2pm across from Manago Hotel in Captain Cook.
- Tues Sept 5: Hakalau Farmers Market, 3pm-5pm at Hakalau Veterans Park. Home grown produce and products.
Thank you so much for following along!
I truly appreciate your readership. If you enjoy this newsletter, the most supportive action you can do is share this with a friend 🏼