Working in marketing, I get to cast wide and narrow nets when I write.
In the marketing world, Mother’s Day is traditionally one of those holidays that falls under that wide net.
But as we approach Mother’s Day, I want to cast that narrow net and acknowledge that this day isn’t a happy occasion for everyone.
Motherhood looks different for everyone — not everyone has a positive relationship with their mother, or has grown up with their mother, and this can make Mother’s Day a challenging time. If this time of year leads you to grieve or avoid social media, I hope you know I am here with you in support.
I hope you get to celebrate this day in a way that feels meaningful to you. Whether you choose to honor your mother, mother-figure, or another caregiver in your life, I hope Mother’s Day can be a time for reflection, healing, and honoring those we love.
Thank you for being a part of this community.
Now, here’s what’s happening on the Big Island this week. It’s never an all-encompassing list, but a list of things to do this week!
- Sat May 13: Motherʻs Day Sale, 10-4pm at East Hawaiʻi Cultural Center in Hilo. The second annual pots & plants Motherʻs Day sale hosted by the EHCC Ceramics Studio!
- Sat May 13: Paint Your Own Silk Scarf, 9-12:30pm at Volcano Art Center. Just in time for Mother’s Day, you can play with colors and paint a custom silk scarf. Tix are $90, or $85 for VAC members.
- Sun May 14: Mother’s Day Marketplace, 7:15-1pm at New Hope Hilo Courtyard. Pick up flowers, buy handcrafted gifts from local vendors, and enjoy delicious food!
- Sun May 14: Mother’s Day Brunch, 10:30-2:30pm at Kona Beach Resort. $85 per person.
- Sun May 14: Mother’s Day feat. Weldon Kekauoha, 6-8:30pm at ‘Umekes in Kailua-Kona.
- Sun May 14: Leslie Harlib, 6:30-9:30pm at Gertrudeʻs Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona. Pianist and vocalist Leslie Harlib has a repertoire of more than 4000 songs that span a century. Sheʻll be taking requests, improvising, and playing tunes that celebrate mom, women, and life. Reservations recommended.
- Thurs-Sat May 11-13: Big Island Art Fair, at Kahilu Town Hall in Waimea. Demonstrations, art vendors, contests and prizes! Thurs 10-5pm, Fri 10-6pm, and Sat 9-4pm.
- Fri May 12: , 4:45-5:45pm at Mokuola (Coconut Island) in Hilo. Bring a mat or towel to lay on, and water. Donations appreciated.
- Fri May 12: Learn to Play Dungeons & Dragons, 7-10pm at Slow Your Roll in Hilo. $15 per player per session.
- Sat-Mon May 13-15: Women Write Overnight, various times at Magical Lava Temple in Puna. A writing retreat with options to participate either the entire weekend ($222 for two nights) or a day pass ($88). Tix include vegan and gluten-free meals, workshops, and activities. Purchase tix by Thurs May 11!
- Sat May 13: 44th Annual Visitor Industry Charity Walk, 6:45am at Queenʻs Marketplace in Waikoloa. Tix are $50 for adults and $35 for keiki under 17.
- Sat May 13: The Taste of Italy Cooking Class, 1-3:30pm at The Spoon Shop in Kailua-Kona. Chef Ellard Resignato will demonstrate four Italian dishes: baked calamari, caprese salad, purple sweet potato gnocchi, and tiramisu. Tix are $125.
- Sat May 13: Activate Puna Block Party, 4pm-Pau at downtown Pāhoa. This is the biggest block party of the year in Puna! Art, food, music, and popups. You can check out vendors on Pāhoa Village Road for free, or buy tix for the concert ($15 with promo code ACTIVATE).
- Sat May 13: A Night of Island Stars, 7pm at Palace Theatre in Hilo. Family-friendly variety show competition with a theme Glam Up! Winner selected by panel of 3 judges.
- Sat May 13: Light Garden Movie Night, 7-9pm in Pāhoa. Watch Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas (1998). Donation based! Reserve your seat online to guarantee a spot.
- Sun May 14: Drag Bingo with Liv Lively, 4pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. Tix start at $10 and +$5 for each additional bingo board.
- Fri May 12: Tonic Oasis, 5-8pm at Hilo Town Night Market. Musical duo who speacializes in jazz, blues, Latin, and soul!
- Fri May 12: Genesis, 6-8pm at SCP Hotel (formerly Hilo Seaside).
- Fri May 12: Amy Hānaialiʻi, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. A tribute celebrating 25 years of Nā Hōkū Hanohano award-winning song Pālehua, one of the worldʻs most danced-to songs among Hālau worldwide.
- Sat May 13: House Night, 9pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. 21+ event.
- Mon May 15: DJ NTU Dance Party, 7pm at Gertrudeʻs Jazz Bar. Hip-hop, R&B, pop & club hits. No cover.
That’s all she wrote!
What did I miss? And, what else do you want to know about the Big Island? Let me know what you think → firstname.lastname@example.org.
P.S. Grab your tickets for Ola Brewʻs Summer Kick Off in Kailua-Kona — next Saturday, May 20!