Hi friends & happy summer!
First of all — a BIG THANK YOU to those of you who open Big Island Beat every week and share this newsletter 🏼 every time I catch a little bit of community support, my brain receives a little dopamine and my inner child does a little dance inside.
Speaking of dancing, Hawaiʻi Islandʻs bon dance season starts in Papaikou this Saturday at 6pm! The next obon dance festivals will be in Kohala & Puna on July 1st.
If you enjoy comedy, there’s lots to see this week — Pineapples Comedy in Kawaihae or Kailua; Rakugo (Traditional Japanese Comedy) in Hilo, a Father’s Day Comedy Special at Hilo Town Market, or Tuesday Taco Comedy at Kona Elk’s Lodge.
Looking for something to do this week? Here’s what’s happening on the Big Island. This is by no means an all-encompassing list, but a few ideas of events happening on Hawaiʻi Island.
Comedy + Entertainment
- Wed June 14: Pineapples Comedy Show, 7pm at Blue Dragon Tavern in Kawaihae. Featuring Simmone Park. Tix are $10 presale or $15 at the door.
- Thurs June 15: Pineapples Comedy Show, 8pm at My Bar in Kailua. Featuring Simmone Park, Dakota Rivera, Tim Byars. Tix are $10 presale or $15 at the door.
- Fri June 16: Queer & Questioning, 7:30pm at UH Hilo Performing Arts Center. An LGBTQIA2S+ variety show celebrating every color of the rainbow!
- Fri-Sun June 16-18: Disneyʻs Descendants: The Musical, 7:30pm on Friday & Saturday or 2:30pm on Sunday at Aloha Theatre in Kainaliu. Tix are $19 for adults, $17 for 65+, or $5 for under 18.
- Sat June 17: Cardio Queens: A Drag Show at the Y, 7pm at Island of Hawaii YMCA in Hilo. Tix start at $20.
- Sat June 17: Fatherʻs Day Comedy Special, 7pm at Hilo Town Market.
- Sun June 18: Rakugo (Traditional Japanese Comedy), 3-5pm at Palace Theater in Hilo.
- Tues June 20: Tuesday Taco Comedy, 6:30-8:30pm at Kona Elk’s Lodge. 2 tacos are $8. Comedy from 7-8:30pm followed by an open mic.
- Thurs June 15: But I’m a Cheerleader, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo.
- Fri June 16: Yes Man, 6:45pm at Unity of Kona in Kailua.
- Fri June 16: Legacy of Pāʻū with Barbara Nobriga, 7pm at Kahilu Theatre in Kamuela.
- Sat June 17: Seven Pounds, 7-9pm at Light Garden in Pāhoa. Donation based! Reserve your seat online to guarantee a spot.
- Thurs June 15: Volcano Thursday Market, 3-6pm at Cooper Center in Volcano.
- Fri June 16: Waimea Family Food Truck Friday, 4-8pm at WM Keck Observatory Headquarters in Waimea.
- Sat June 17: Hawaii Climate Fair, 9-1pm at Civic Auditorium in Hilo.
- Sat June 17: Papaikou Hongwanji Bon Dance Festival, 6-9:30pm. Andagi and sweet bread for sale!
- Sat-Sun June 16 and 17. Lucid Living Festival, Pāhoa. Sound healing, music, and morning yoga. Tix are $44.08.
- Sat June 17: Kona Pride Snorkel Cruise, 1-5pm at Kailua Pier. Tix are $130.
- Sat June 17: Yoga & Ecstatic Dance, 6pm at Honokaʻa People’s Theatre. $10 for yoga and $10 for ecstatic dance.
- Sat June 17: Celebrate Juneteenth, 5-8:30pm at Moonsun Art Gallery in Kainaliu. Tix are $15 general or $10 for students and seniors.
- Sun June 18: June Drag Brunch, 1pm at My Bar in Kailua. Tix start at $10.
- Fri June 16: Fanye Afro Fusion Band, 6:30-9:30pm at Blue Dragon Tavern in Kawaihae.
- Fri June 16: Twerk Dat Dance Party, 10-1am at My Bar in Kailua.
- Sat June 17: Concert in the Park, 12-1pm or 3-4pm at Lincoln Park in Hilo. Family-friendly singalong concert — meet the cast of Palace Theatreʻs upcoming production of GREASE.
- Sat June 17: Jazz in the Forest, 5:30pm at Volcano Art Center. Tix are $30 General, or $25 for VAC members.
- Sat June 17: Loose Changes, 7-10pm at Paradise Plants in Hilo.
- Sat June 17: After Hours House Music, 8-2am at Vibe. Café in Hilo. Hilo’s premier monthly house usic night has returned!
- Sat June 17: The Mākaha Sons, 7pm at at Palace Theatre in Hilo. Traditional Hawaiian Music. Tix are $35 general admission or $45 priority orchestra, and $5 more on day of show.
- Sat June 17: DJ Paul, 9pm at My Bar. Celebrate National Pride Month!
- Sun June 18: Mateo Belmarez & Weather Permitting, 6-9pm at Blue Dragon Tavern in Kawaihae.
- Sun June 18: Tonic Oasis, 6:30-9:30pm at Getrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua. Jazz, blues, Latin, soul duo. $5 cover.
- Mon June 19: DJ NTU, 7-10:30pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua. Funk, R&B, soul, hip hop. No cover.
Did you find a new event happening this week? Share the love & send a copy of this newsletter to a friend!
Thanks for all your support!
xo – Krista