Summer has officially started and there’s lots of exciting happenings on the horizon!
This week, learn about the science of black holes from a program by physicist and science writer Dr. Jonas Enander at ʻImiloa, celebrate National Trails Family Day at Ulu Laʻau in Waimea, and celebrate 20 years of PEPPER at Brewery Block in Kailua-Kona!
Looking for something to do this week? Here’s what’s happening on the Big Island this week. This is by no means an all-encompassing list, but a few ideas of events happening on Hawaiʻi Island.
Workshops & Movies
- Fri June 2: The Human Side of Black Holes, 6-7pm at ʻImiloa Astronomy Center in Hilo. A live program presented by physicist and science writer Dr. Jonas Enander explores the science of black holes and how they are helping us unravel the mysteries of the universe, understand our place in the cosmos, and observe changes to our planet. Tix are $15 for general public or $12 for members.
- Fri June 2: Artistic Alchemy, 4-7pm at Nelha Ocean Art Studio in Kailua-Kona. Guided paint exploration, cacao ceremony, sound bath journey. Tix are $160.
- Sat June 3: The Wind & The Reckoning, 2:30pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. The West overthrows the Hawaiian Kingdom as an outbreak of leprosy engulfs all Native Hawaiians suspected of having the disease banished permanently. When a local cowboy name Ko’olau and his young son contract the disease, they refuse to allow their family to be separated, sparking an armed clash with brutal white island authorities that will make Ko’olau and his wife, Pi’ilani heroes for the ages. Tix are free, but pre-registration is necessary.
- Sat June 3: Nightcrawler, 7-9pm at Light Garden in Pāhoa. Movie starts at 7pm. Tix are donation based.
- Sat-Sun June 3-4: Intro to Engineering — a workshop for grades 4-6, 9-3pm at UH Hilo Kanaka’ole Hall.
- Sat June 3: National Trails Family Day, 9-1pm at Ulu Laʻau (Waimea Nature Park) in Waimea. Free community event with family-friendly activities including a 1.5 mile family hike, art and storytelling in the park, food trucks, and entertainment.
- Sat June 3: Soul Skate, 4-8pm at Old Aʻs Beach Park Rink in Kailua-Kona. All ages until 7pm. Bring your own skates and wear protective gear. $5-15 donation.
- Sat June 3: MY BAR Pageant, 8pm at MY BAR in Kailua-Kona. Support the LGBTQ+ community as contestants take the stage in multiple categories to compete for the crown. 21+ event. Tix are $25 pre-sale.
- Sun June 4: National Animal Rights Day, 1-3:30pm at Magical Creatures Sanctuary in Laupahoehoe. Memorial followed by music, speakers and vegan food. RSVP online required.
- Sun June 4: REBIRTH: Our Time to Shine, 2pm at Kahilu Theatre in Waimea. Dance performance by Kona Dance and Performing Arts. Tix start at $25 for adults or $10 for keiki under 13.
- Tues June 6: Taco Tuesday Comedy Show, 6:30-8:30pm at Kona Elk’s Lodge. 2 tacos are $8. Comedy from 7-8:30pm followed by an open mic.
- Fri June 2: PEPPER — Live in Kona Town, 6-11pm at the Brewery Block in Kailua-Kona. Also featuring guest artists The Elovaters, Ocean Grown, and DJ Scotty Doo. Tix start at $50.
- Fri June 2: ʻOhana Waʻa Laulima Benefit Concert, 5-6:30pm at Honokaʻa People’s Theatre. Featuring Jeff Quin, Hannah Kaplan, and athletes from ʻOhana Waʻa Laulima. $10 donation recommended!
- Sat June 3: 10th Annual Big Island Jazz & Blues Festival, 5-9pm at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. Tix start at $225.
- Sat June 3: Off Da Cuff, 6:30-9:30pm at Blue Dragon Tavern in Kawaihae. Tix are $10 in advance or $13 at the door.
- Sat June 3: Show Me Dragon, 8-11pm at Lava Shack in Pāhoa. 21+ event. No cover.
What did I miss? And, what else do you want to know about the Big Island? Let me know what you think → firstname.lastname@example.org .