Happy PRIDE Month! 🏳️🌈
Pride Month is celebrated annually in June & commemorates the Stonewall Uprising of 1969 — a time when being publicly gay was illegal and there were literally laws about what clothing was gender-appropriate to wear.
Police raided a gay bar in New York City, and its patrons fought back.
LGBTQ+ rights activism and police raiding gay bars existed prior to 1969 — but it was the organization that happened after Stonewall that prompted a global movement.
It’s history like this that shows how young a culture shift is AND how there’s room for us to create inclusive spaces that make life easier for our neighbors & ourselves.
This week, you can attend a Pride Lūʻau at Hilo Yacht Club, swing out at Paradise Plants in Hilo, or dance to afro fusion or house music around the island.
And before we get started, FYI:
- 23 Hawaiʻi Island schools are serving free meals over the summer to children 18 years and younger (Monday through Friday excluding holidays). Pass this information on! Click here for a list of schools, meal dates, and hours.
Looking for something to do this week? Here’s what’s happening on the Big Island. This is by no means an all-encompassing list, but a few ideas of events happening on Hawaiʻi Island.
- Sat June 10: Hilo Pride Lūʻau, 5-9:30pm at Hilo Yacht Club. Hosted by Kumukahi Health + Wellness. Tix are $100 and include a pupus, a Hawaiian food buffet, dessert, and entertainment. Get your tix now!
- Thurs June 8: Volcano Thursday Market, 3-6pm at Cooper Center in Volcano every Thursday.
- Fri-Sun June 9-11: Hawai’i Kuauli Pacific & Asia Cultural Festival. King Kamehameha Kona Beach Resort.
- June 9: Opening Celebration & Hula Hō’ike. Tix are $10 for ages 13+, $5 for keiki ages 5-12, and free for keiki under 4.
- June 10: Le Kua Ailao Fireknife Competition. Tix are $35 for ages 13+, $20 for keiki ages 5-12, and free for keiki under 4.
- June 11: Taste of Pacific & Asia. Tix are $85 general or $120 VIP.
- Fri June 9: Hilo Town Market, 5-9pm in Downtown Hilo.
- Fri June 9: Food Truck Friday Kailua-Kona, 4-8pm at Target parking lot in Kona.
- Sat June 10: World Ocean Day, 10-2pm at Hilo Museum Square.
- Sat June 10: King Kamehameha Day Ho’olaule’a, 11-3pm at Huliheʻe Palace in Historic Kailua Village. The festival is free, and admission into the Palace Museum is $5 for kama‘āina, $3 youth (5-12yrs), $1 children (4 * under), or $8 general.
- Sat June 10: Pāhoa Second Saturdays, 3-11pm at Pāhoaʻs Main Street.
- Sat June 10: Bonsai Exhibit, 9-3pm at Hilo Public Library. Catch the demonstrations “Styling Bonsai” and “How to Repot Bonsai” at 10am, and then admire bonsai trees on display before or after!
- Sun Jun 11: Garage Sale, 10-2pm at Honokaʻa Hongwanji.
- Sun June 11: Liv-a-Little Drag Bingo, 4pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. $10 show & $5 for each additional board.
- Fri-Sun June 9-11: Disneyʻs Descendants: The Musical, 7:30pm on Friday & Saturday or 2:30pm on Sunday at Aloha Theatre in Kainaliu-Kona. Tix are $19 for adults, $17 for 65+, or $5 for under 18.
- Sat June 10: Hula Kahiko featuring Hālau Hula o Manaʻolana o Kohala under the direction of Kumu Hula Manaʻolana (Hope), 10:30am at Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park.
- Sat June 10: Kona Comedy: Xander Beltran, 7:30pm at Kona Elks Lodge.
- Thurs June 8: Hot Potaytahs, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo.
- Fri June 9: Disco Fever, 9-1am at My Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri June 9: FANYE Afro Fusion Band, 6:30-9:30pm at Honokaʻa People’s Theatre.
- Fri June 9: Makana, 7pm at Hilo Palace Theater. General tix are $40.
- Sat June 10: Afro Fusion Dance Night with DJ Ntu, 7-10pm at Around the Kava Bowl in Captain Cook.
- Sat June 10: Greg Shirleyʻs Big Swing, 7-10pm at Paradise Plants Warehouse in Hilo. $20 entrance.
- Sat June 10: Whatever, Heather, 6:30-9:30pm at Blue Dragon Tavern in Kawaihae.
- Sat June 10: Punk Night, 7-10:30pm at Gertrudeʻs Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona. Tix are $10 at the door.
- Sat June 10: House Night, 9pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. 21+ event.
- Sun June 11: Cas Haley w/ Paul Izak, 7pm at Naniloa Crown Room in Hilo. General admission (18+) tix are $20.
- Sun June 11: HSF Songwriter Showcase, 7:30pm at Blue Dragon Tavern in Kawaihae.
- Mon June 12: Monday Night Jazz Jam, 6-9pm at Kukuau Studio in Hilo.
- This Sat, June 11 clean up Pine Trees Beach at 9-Noon with Exploring Within & CLEAN Rewards! Exploring Within headsets will be provided so you can clean the planet, listen to music, and explore within.
Did you find something interesting? The best way to show your support is subscribing and reading each week (so thank you for being here!!!) and the second best way is to SHARE this newsletter with a friend! ❤
Thank you for reading!
P.S. Looking for a date idea? There’s a Dirty Date Clay Night being hosted in Honokaʻa on July 1! $50 per person covers an evening of pupus, vino and clay. There are limited spots so sign up soon!