Get your dancing shoes out!
If you’re in Kona, salsa night is back this Thursday at Honu’s on the Beach. On Sunday — don’t miss the Silent Disco Beach clean-up in the morning, and stay for the Exploring Within Sunset Nature Dance Experience at night.
Looking for dancing on Hilo side? Relive your ’90s hip-hop nostalgia with Souls of Mischief on Thursday or jam out to Inna Vision on Saturday.
Standup comedy fan? Join Pineapples Comedy for their Malama Maui fundraiser show this Thursday in Kona or Good Times Comedy Club on Saturday in Hilo.
Here’s what’s happening on the Big Island. This is by no means an all-encompassing list, but a few ideas of events happening on Hawaiʻi Island.
- Wed Sep 6: Hoʻoulu Community Farmers and Artisans Market, 9-2pm at Hoʻoulu Market in Keauhou. Shop locally each Wednesday & Friday and enjoy live music and artwork from local talents.
- Wed Sep 6: Theater Camp, 2:30pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Laugh your heart out and explore what it’s like inside a theater camp in the final screening of this hearty movie.
- Wed Sep 6: Wednesday Night Market, 4:30-7:30pm at Hilo Town Market. Explore a variety of vendors offering unique products and delicious treats.
- Wed Sep 6: Round 2 of the Hilo Idol 2023, 9-11pm at Hilo Town Market. The first round is finally over, and now it’s time for our next set of contenders to battle it out and climb their way to be the next Hilo Idol.
- Fri Sep 8: Failing UP: Embracing Autumn’s Ascendancy, 7-9:30pm at Moonsun Art Gallery in Kealakekua. Dive deep into a transformative evening of poetry, art, and self-discovery.
- Fri Sep 8: Waimea Family Food Truck Friday, 4-8pm at W. M. Keck Observatory Headquarters. Enjoy some of your favorite local food and beverage vendors!
- Sat Sep 9: Career Fair, 10-2pm at Prince Kuhio Plaza in Hilo. Looking to take the next step in your career? Enjoy the career fair presented by the Pacific Media Group and the HICC Young Professionals.
- Sat Sep 9: Mauna Loa x Aaron Kai — Mural Unveiling & Ice Cream Social, 10-2pm at Mauna Loa Macnut Visitor Center in Keaʻau. Join Mauna Loa and Aaron Kai as they unveil a brand new mural for the community accompanied by ice cream and good vibes.
- Sat Sep 9: Battle of the Islands 2023, Doors open at 11:30am at Waimea District Park Gym. Big Island Roller Derby, Pacific Roller Derby, and Garden Island Renegade Rollerz will be facing off in this year’s BATTLE OF THE ISLANDS.
- Sat Sep 9: Big Island Chocolate Festival Hosts a Sip & Dip Paint Event, 4-6pm at Island Lava Java. Big Island Chocolate Festival presents its second annual version of a Paint & Sip – but with the ‘dip’.
- Sun Sep 10: Silent Disco Beach Cleanup with Clean Rewards & Exploring Within, 9-6:30pm at Pine Trees Beach. Partake on a beautiful outdoor dance floor in paradise as we clean, connect, and dance freely in nature.
Music + Dancing
- Thurs Sep 7: 93 ʻtil Infinity 30th Anniversary Tour, 8:30pm at Hilo Town Tavern. Join Souls of Mischief and various other acts fundraising for Hiloʻs DIY skatepark.
- Thurs Sep 7: Fuego Live, 5:30-9:30pm at Honu’s on the Beach in Kailua-Kona. A night full of dancing to salsa, merengue, and bachata beats. Tix are $15.
- Fri Sep 8: Friday Night Disco Fever, 9-1am at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. Start the weekend grooving it out on the dance floor at My Bar.
- Sat Sep 9: AMY HĀNAIALIʻI “PĀLEHUA” 25th Anniversary Concert, 7-9pm at Kahilu Theatre in Waimea. Witness Hawaiʻi’s top-selling female artist perform live.
- Sat Sep 9: SCP Hilo Presents: Live Music with Hana Goodhue, 7-9pm at SCP Hilo Hotel. Join SCP Hilo for an evening of live music with the incredibly talented Hana Goodhue!
- Sat Sep 9: Ecstatic Dance Honoka‘a, 7:15-9:15pm at People’s Theatre in Honokaʻa. Dance your heart out and light it up (literally) in this blacklight dance night.
- Sat Sep 9: Inna Vision w/ Tuff Lion & Bengali Arkangel, 8-11:30pm at Hilo Town Tavern. Get ready for an epic night of mind-blowing reggae vibes as Inna Vision, Tuff Lion, and Bengali Arkangel take the stage!
- Sat Sep 9: Taylor Swift Rave, 9pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. Get ready to shake it off and dance like you’re 22 in this Taylor Swift-inspired rave!
Comedy + Entertainment
- Thu Sep 7: Malama Maui Comedy Show, 8pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona. Join Pineapples Comedy for a night of laughter in support of our Maui ʻohana.
- Fri Sep 8: BRING-IT!, 7pm at Kahilu Theatre in Waimea. This all-original uncensored open mic highlights the community, creativity, and inspiration of the North Hawaiʻi arts scene.
- Fri Sep 8: Growing Up Local, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Fists, friends, and family collide in this beautifully inspired indie movie about self-discovery and young passions.
- Sat Sep 9: Good Times Comedy Club show, 6:30-9:30pm at Hilo Town Market. Prepare yourself for a night of laughter and banter with the Good Times Comedy Club.
- Sun Sep 10: Liv-A-Little Drag BINGO Sunday Funday, 4pm at My Bar in Kailua Kona. Miss My Bar 2022 LIV LIVELY host DRAG BINGO to MY BAR! Join us @My Bar as we partner with a different community nonprofit each month!
- Thu Sep 7: Volcano Thursday Market, 3-6pm at Cooper Center in Volcano.
- Fri Sep 8: Food Truck Friday, 4-8pm at Target parking lot in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri Sep 8: Ho’oulu Community Farmers and Artisans Market, 9-2pm at Ho’oulu Market. Shop locally each Wednesday & Friday and enjoy live music and artwork from local talents.
- Fri Sep 8: Hilo Town Market, 5-9pm in Downtown Hilo. Food vendors, food trucks, live music, and crafts!
- Sat Sep 9: Keauhou Farmers Market, 8-12pm in Keauhou-Kona. Find locally-raised & grown produce, flowers, honey, coffee, eggs, and more!
- Sat Sep 9: Waimea Town Market, 9:30-2pm in Waimea. Food, music, jams, and chocolate!
- Sun Sep 10: Makuʻu Farmers Market, 7am-12pm in Puna.
- Sun Sep 10: Volcano Farmers Market, 6-10am at Cooper Center in Volcano.
- Sun Sep 10: Pure Kona Green Market, 9-2pm across from Manago Hotel in Captain Cook.
- Tue Sep 12: Hakalau Farmers Market, 3-5pm at Hakalau Veterans Park. Home grown produce and products.
As always, thank you so much for following along!
If you enjoy this newsletter, the most supportive action you can do is share this with a friend!