Thereʻs a lot of exciting things happening this weekend, including the Hilo Brewfest (which is now sold out), a glam-rock opera in Kamuela, and First Friday in Holualoa-Kona.
If youʻre in Hilo this weekend or next weekend, support our local arts community & watch a family-friendly, local adaptation of Shakespeare comedy Much Ado About Nothing: Ho Ka Hū: No Ack! written by Dr. Justina ʻŌlalimākiaikalauaki Mattos. Itʻs showing at 4:30pm on July 7-9 and 14-16 rain or shine at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center front lawn.
It’s hard to capture everything happening on Hawaiʻi Island, so this is never an exhaustive list of everything going on — it’s a list of ideas for events you can send to your friends (or a hot date)!
- Wed July 5: Wednesday Night Market, 4:30-7:30pm at Hilo Town Market. Featuring local vendors and Moʻo Funky.
- Wed July 5: Karaoke & DJ Dance Party, 5-9pm at Hilo Town Market Showroom. Over 300,000 songs to choose from! $10 entry, BYOB & BYOF.
- Wed July 5: Open Mic Jazz Jam, 7-10:30pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona.
Music + Dancing
- Thurs July 6: John Keawe, 6-9pm at Blue Dragon Tavern in Kawaihae. Tix are $10 in advance or $13 at the door.
- Thurs July 6: Fuego Latin Jazz, 7-10:30pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona. Tix are $10 at the door. Arrive at 6pm for a beginner/intermediate salsa lesson.
- Thurs July 6: Thurs Night Dance Party, at Laverne’s in Kailua-Kona. $10 cover. 21+ event.
- Thurs July 6: Afro-Fusion Night with DJ Ntu, 7-10pm at Around the Kava Bowl in Captain Cook.
- Fri July 7: Off Da Cuff, 6:30-9:30pm at Blue Dragon Tavern in Kawaihae. Tix are $10 in advance or $13 at the door.
- Fri July 7: JP Thoma and the Jazz Tones Dance Band, 7-10pm at Paradise Warehouse in Hilo. $15 cover & BYOB. There’s a large dance floor!
- Fri July 7: Disco Fever, 9-1am at MY BAR in Kona. Disco, funk, soul & house remixes by DJ Kevin K & DJ Ntu.
- Fri July 7: Hot Potaytahs, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. Funk n roll with dancing on the Palace stage. Tix are $15.
- Sat July 8: Hilo Hawaiian Music Festival, 12-5pm at Civic Auditorium in Hilo. Featuring Mark Yamanaka, Sonny Lim, Kevin Brown, and more! Tix are $8 pre-sale or $10 at the door.
- Sat July 8: Komakakino, 6-9pm at Ola Brew in Hilo.
- Sat July 8: The Tremors, 7 or 9pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona. $5 cover.
- Sat July 8: Da Glow Up Blacklight Party, My Bar in Kona.
- Sun July 9: Fanye Afro-Fusion, 6-9pm at Blue Dragon Tavern in Kawaihae.
- Mon July 10: Monday Night Jazz Jam, 6-9pm at Kukuau Studio in Hilo.
Comedy + Entertainment
- Thurs July 6: Kona Comedy Game Show, 8pm at MY BAR in Kona. Comedy game show hosted by Pineapples Comedy.
- Fri-Sun July 7-9: Ho Ka Hū: No Ack!, 4:30pm at UH Hilo Performing Arts Center Lawn. Enjoy this family-friendly local adaptation on Shakespeareʻs comedy Much Ado About Nothing, written by Dr. Justina ʻŌlalimākiaikalauaki Mattos. Free admission (donations accepted). Bring a chair & enjoy the show!
- Fri-Sun July 7-9: Much Ado About Nothing, 7:30pm at UH Hilo Performing Arts Center Lawn. The 46th Annual Shakespeare in the Park presented by Hilo Community Players. Free admission (donations accepted). Bring a chair & enjoy the show with their concessions!
- Fri July 7: Bring It!, 7pm at Kahilu Theatre in Kamuela. Uncensored open mic highlighting North Hawaiʻi artists. Tix are $10 at the door. 21+ show. Sign-up is prior to the show (performance slots are limited).
- Sat July 8: Paiʻea presented by Kamehameha Schools Hawaiʻi High School, 7-8:15pm at Kahilu Theatre in Kamuela. A glam-rock opera that covers the early life, tests, and battles of Kamehameha I. Tix are $20 for adults or $10 for children under 17.
- Sun July 9: Wild Tails: Pole Hale Instructor Showcase, 7-8pm at Gertrudeʻs Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona. Tix are $20 — buy in advance.
- Tues July 11: Pineapples Comedy Open Mic, 9pm at MY BAR in Kona. 5 minute time slots for your music, comedy, and poetry!
- Fri July 7: Holualoa First Friday, 5:30-8:30pm in Holualoa.
- Fri July 7: Kula Pinana no nā Keiki, 2-4pm at Big Island Climbing in Hilo. Climbing school for keiki ages 6-12. Waivers required. $25 drop-in. Bring socks!
- Sat July 8: Tanabata Stroll, 9-12pm at Liliʻuokalani Park in Hilo. Family event for children to make a wish and find toros in the gardens.
- Sat July 8: Kona Commons Artisan Market, 9:30-3:30pm at Kona Commons (fronting Jeans Warehouse).
- Sat July 8: Revitalize Puna, 10-2pm at Pāhoa District Park Gym. Connect with government officials and community leaders working on eruption recovery and resilience projects in Puna.
- Sat July 8: Big Island Veg Fest, 11-6pm at Moʻoheau Bandstand in Hilo. Free community event with live music, vendors, speakers, cooking demos, and more!
- Sat July 8: West African Drum & Dance, 3:30pm at Moku Ola/Coconut Island in Hilo. Drum class at 3:30 & dance class at 4:45. Tix are $15/class, $20 if you take both, and free for keiki! Some drums will be provided — bring your own drum if you have it!
- Sat July 8: Kona Daifukuji Soto Mission Bon Dance, 3-6:30pm in Captain Cook.
- Sat July 8: Second Saturday Music & Art Walk, Saturday afternoon in Pāhoa.
- Sat July 8: Hilo Meishoin Bon Dance, 7pm in Hilo near the university.
- Sun July 9: Liv-A-Little Drag Bingo, 4pm at MY BAR in Kona. $10 show & $5 for each additional board.
- Mon July 10: Mic it Up Monday, 6-8pm at Soil to Soul in Downtown Hilo. Group collaboration & music networking event! Donations encouraged.
- Tues July 11: The Mom Walk Collective: Hilo, 9:30am at Liliʻuokalani Gardens in Hilo. Meet at the Bayside of the park (where the benches are near the water) & walk with other mamas!
- Tues July 11: Hilo Founders Mixer, 5-7pm at Hawaiʻi Science and Technology Museum in Hilo. Learn more about local startup cohorts, 30-second speed pitch, and network with the startup community!
- Thurs July 6: Volcano Thursday Market, 3-6pm at Cooper Center in Volcano.
- Fri July 7: Food Truck Friday, 4-8pm at Target parking lot in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri July 7: Hilo Town Market, 5-9pm in Downtown Hilo. Food vendors, food trucks, live music, and crafts!
- Sat July 8: Keauhou Farmers Market, 8-12pm in Keauhou-Kona. Find locally-raised & grown produce, flowers, honey, coffee, eggs, and more!
- Sat July 8: Waimea Town Market, 9:30-2pm in Waimea. Food, music, jams, and chocolate!
- Sun July 9: Makuʻu Farmers Market, 7am-12pm in Pāhoa.
- Sun July 9: Volcano Farmers Market, 6-10am at Cooper Center in Volcano.
- Tues July 11: Hakalau Farmers Market, 3-5pm at Hakalau Veterans Park. Home grown produce and products.
What do you think of the new section Weekly Markets? I sprinkle them in sometimes but am curious if an ongoing list is helpful to you each week (and I KNOW I’m missing some — so please bear with me!).
Share this post so your friends know what’s happening on Big Island 🏼✨