Hi friends & happy Thursday!
Yesterday, I missed my first Wednesday issue of Big Island Beat… and let’s just say… it’s a pretty accurate symbol of how my brain feels this week 😅
Anyway, here’s what’s happening on Hawaiʻi Island this upcoming week! From a free concert and fitness in the park to rodeo events in Honokaʻa, it feels like there’s a lot happening around the island this weekend! Soon, I’ll have to start organizing this list by district ✨
This is never all of the incredible events happening around the island, but rather a list of ideas of what you can do this week.
- Fri May 26: Hell Caminos, El Sancho, KOA, and Kyle Strngz, 6-10pm at Willie’s Hot Chicken in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri May 26: Ms Demeanor , 6-9pm at Blue Dragon Tavern in Kawaihae. Tix are $10 in advance or $13 at the door.
- Fri May 26: Fanye Afro Fusion Band, 7-8:30pm or 9-10:30pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri May 26: Sharkk Heartt Live Music, 7-9pm at Lōʻihi Studios in Hilo. Tix are $40.
- Fri May 26: Afro Fusion Dance Night, 7-10pm at Kanaka Kava in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri May 26: Grand Slam, 7:30-10:30pm at Lava Shack in Pāhoa.
- Sat May 27: The Piano Man: Music of Billy Joel, 12-1 and 3-4pm at Lincoln Park in Hilo.
- Sat May 27: Chris Murphy: The Road and The Stars Tour, 6-9pm at Kukuau Studio in Hilo. Tix are $10.
- Sat May 27: Body N Soul, 6-9pm at Lava Lounge in Volcano. $10 cover.
- Sat May 27: Johnny Shot , 6:30-9:30 at Blue Dragon Tavern in Kawaihae. Tix are $10 in advance or $13 at the door.
- Sat May 27: Twerk Dat Dance Party, 8-Pau at Hilo Town Market. $5 cover.
- Sun May 28: GET HAPPY by Waimea Community Chorus, 2:30pm at Kahilu Theatre in Waimea. Tix are $25.
- Sun May 28: Fanye Afro Fusion Band, 6-9pm at Gertrude’s Jazz Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Sun May 28: West Hawaiʻi County Band, 4-5pm at Hale Hālāwai in Kailua-Kona.
- Fri May 26: Hawaiʻi Island United Way Partner Agency Fair, 1-4pm at Nani Mau Gardens in Hilo. Family friendly entertainment, food, games and prizes.
- Sat May 27: Hilo Family Beach Day Potluck, 10-1pm at Carlsmith Beach Park in Hilo hosted by The Mom Walk Collective.
- Sun May 28: Free Community Fitness Class, 8-10am at Keauhou Shopping Center.
- Sat-Sun May 27-28: Annual Waimea Bon-yu Kai Bonsai Exhibition, 9-4pm at Waimea Community Center.
- Sat-Mon May 27-29: Rodeo Events at the Rose Andrade-Correia Stadium in Honokaʻa.
- Thurs May 25: The Treasure of Sierra Madre, 7pm at Palace Theater in Hilo. $10 general admission or $9 for seniors, students and veterans.
- Sat May 27: Mushroom Cultivation: Growing Edible & Medicinal Mushrooms on Logs, Stumps & Wood Chips, 9-2pm at Volcano Art Center. $65 for general public includes supplies.
- Sat May 27: Y2K Night, 9pm at My Bar in Kailua-Kona.
- Sat May 27: Wild Women’s Workshop, 3-6pm at Kona Cloud Forest.
- Tues May 30: Kōkua Hands, Kōkua Minds, 10-12pm at Pāpā Forest (mauka Miloliʻi, South Kona). An ʻāina stewardship project for mental health wellness. Call (617) 543-8065 for more info or to reserve a spot.
- Sun May 28: Aliʻi Drive Cleanup, 9-Noon. Meet by Huggo’s on the Rocks.
What did I miss? And, what else do you want to know about the Big Island? Let me know what you think.
Remember — if you like this newsletter, one of the most supportive actions you can take is to share it with a friend! Click here to view online and share.
P.S. Tickets are on sale NOW for Hilo Pride Lūʻau, hosted by Kumukahi Health + Wellness on Sat, June 10 at Hilo Yacht Club. Buy your tickets now on Eventbrite.